in Houston, Texas
Lewisville, Texas foster care provider failed to track more than $300,000 in state funding for foster care, contract not renewed
Tuesday, Aug 30, 2011, 01:23PM CST
By Mark Lisheron
money

The state has decided not to renew the contract of a Lewisville foster care provider for failing to keep track of $313,208 in state funding.

The decision by the Department of Family and Protective Services follows a state audit of Connecting Lifes, a nonprofit group serving 64 children. The State Auditor concluded Connecting Lifes’ bookkeeping made it impossible to determine if state funds were properly spent.

The Connecting Lifes contract is set to expire Wednesday at which time the agency can apply for a new contract through Family and Protective Services. Administrators for the nonprofit sent a letter to the state acknowledging their internal problems and promising to fix them.

The nonprofit did not account for its expenditures and incorrectly added $17,598 to the amount it claimed to have received from the state in 2010. In four of the 30 audits of payments to foster parents, parents were overpaid and in two of those cases a parent was underpaid, the auditor said.

Connecting Lifes was one of 235 foster care providers who had 435 contracts to serve 25,111 children at a cost of $355.8 million in 2010. That revenue total represents 32 percent of the total bill for foster care in Texas, the other 68 percent supported by federal tax money.
 
***
Contact Mark Lisheron at 512-299-2318 or mark@texaswatchdog.org or on Twitter at @marktxwatchdog.

Keep up with all the latest news from Texas Watchdog. Fan our page on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and Scribd, and fan us on YouTube. Join our network on de.licio.us, and put our RSS feeds in your newsreader. We're also on MySpace, Digg, FriendFeed, and tumblr.

Photo of money by flickr user Refracted Momentts, used via a Creative Commons license.
Comments
Be the first to post a comment.
Tweets
Karen Townsend | 7 years 5 months
"Patrick F. Kennedy is a career foreign service officer" - http://t.co/GOrCe0IS
Peter Corbett ✈ | 7 years 5 months
I'm at McCarran International Airport (LAS) w/ @almacy http://t.co/KvmId07i
KERA Public Media | 7 years 5 months
TONIGHT at 7pm on KERA TV: Presidential Debate: Learn more at PBS NewsHour. http://t.co/Z9kYdun8
PBS MediaShift | 7 years 5 months
Tech Snafus Make Bill O'Reilly/Jon Stewart 'Rumble' More of a Stumble http://t.co/4OfeBlrG (@kegill | @pbsmediashift) #rumble2012
Will Sullivan | 7 years 5 months
Great addition, been burned too much by bad subs. "Google Play Announces Free Trials For In-App Subscription Services" http://t.co/TOLgRVak
TxDOT | 7 years 5 months
I-35W/North Tarrant Express #constantcontact http://t.co/QDzrQumu
© 2019 TEXAS WATCHDOG and USELABS. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use and Privacy Statement